Intense abdominal pain can be a symptom of various serious medical conditions, some of which can require immediate medical attention. Even knowing this information, many people ignore these pains, believing that they will pass.
The reality is that this type of pain can be a sign of pathologies that, if not given medical attention early on, can put your health at risk. Remember that every pain that is emitted by your body, can be a sign that something is not right with it.
In this article, we will tell you three reasons why it is crucial to have a medical consultation if you are experiencing intense abdominal pain, and how an early diagnosis and adequate treatment can prevent grave complications and better your quality of life.
If you need medical attention for your abdominal pain, Forme has medical personnel that specializes in the diagnostic care that you need. Call us at (914) 723-4900, or make an appointment to get the care you need and recover without major inconveniences.
What types of abdominal pain can a person develop?
Before explaining the reasons why it’s important to make a medical consultation appointment when feeling this type of pain, it’s important that we know how to identify what type of pain it is to get a better diagnosis.
As explained by the website medlineplus.gov, there are 4 types of abdominal pains which are following:
- Generalized pain: this is if you have pain in more than half of your abdomen. This type of pain is typical of a stomach virus, indigestion, or gas. If the pain becomes intense, it can be caused by an intestinal blockage.
- Localized pain: this presents itself in only one area of the abdomen. It is most likely that this type of pain is a sign of an organ problem, like the appendix, gall bladder, or stomach.
- Cramps: the majority of the time this pain is not life-threatening, it is more likely that this type of pain is due to gas and distention. It is often followed by diarrhea. The most worrisome signs are if the pain occurs more frequently, lasts more than 24 hours, or is accompanied by a fever.
- Colicky pain: This type of pain comes in waves, starts and ends suddenly, and is often intense. Kidney and gallstones are common causes of this type of abdominal pain.
In any case, when identifying any type of severe stomach pain, although it may not always be a serious condition, it is important that you receive specialized medical attention to receive an accurate diagnosis.
Why is it important to make a medical consultation appointment once feeling intense abdominal pain?
Abdominal pain cannot always be something temporary. Sometimes it may be a sign of further damage, so early diagnosis and proper treatment could even save your life.
Next, we will tell you 3 reasons why is important to go to a doctor when you feel intense abdominal pain:
- Early identification of serious conditions: severe abdominal pain can be a symptom of several serious medical conditions, such as appendicitis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis, peptic ulcers, diverticulitis, and others. By going to a doctor’s office, a health professional can perform a physical examination, order diagnostic tests, and make an early diagnosis, which can be crucial for effective treatment and avoiding complications.
- Prevention of complications: If severe abdominal pain is ignored, it can lead to serious complications. For example, untreated appendicitis can lead to a ruptured appendix, which causes a life-threatening infection in the abdominal cavity. If treated early, the appendix will likely be removed before it ruptures.
- Improved quality of life: Severe abdominal pain can be debilitating and affect the quality of life. By seeking early medical attention and receiving proper treatment, pain can be relieved and quality of life improved. Also, early diagnosis and proper treatment can prevent serious complications and allow for a faster recovery.
By going to a doctor’s appointment, you can have the opportunity to receive a diagnosis that gives you clarity as to the reasons why you are feeling that pain, and thus have peace of mind treating your illness on time.
Schedule your medical consultation today at Forme Medical Center
As we mentioned earlier, severe abdominal pain does not always mean a serious illness. However, it is a possibility that it is a sign of a problem that, if it does not receive urgent attention, could even put your life at risk.
Therefore, when in doubt, the best thing is to identify where the pain comes from and act immediately to relieve it.