Scientists from all around the world have united; they worked hard to come up with a coronavirus vaccine as soon as possible, and they actually came up with more than one option. All of the developed vaccines work by teaching the body’s immune system to safely recognize and block the virus that causes COVID-19. But depending on the mechanism they use, they create immunization in different ways. (WHO, 2021)
The different types of potential Coronavirus vaccine include the following:
- Inactive or weakened virus vaccines. This type of vaccine uses a weakened form of the virus which will not cause the disease but is still enough to cause an immune response.
- Protein based vaccines. These use pieces of proteins to mimic the COVID-19 virus and safely create an immune response.
- Viral vector vaccines. These use a safe virus that can not cause the disease, but it creates a platform to produce coronavirus proteins and generate an immune response.
- RNA and DNA vaccines. They use genetically engineered RNA or DNA to generate a protein that creates an immune response. (WHO, 2021)
Some of these vaccines, depending on the type and the brand, work with only one dose while others work with two doses, one applied several days after the first one.
Reasons to get the Coronavirus vaccine despite having had COVID-19
- The immunity your body gains from getting the disease varies from person to person, and experts do not know how long you will be protected after getting sick.
- Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, you can get sick again. It has happened before and reports say that people who get sick for the second time have a tendency to experience stronger symptoms.
- COVID-19 is caused by a powerful virus. The risk of severe illness or even death from coronavirus “far outweighs any benefit from natural immunity.” (CDC, 2021)
- The natural immunity you get when you have recovered from the disease is strong after the first month or two of recovery, but it decreases with every day that goes by. It is very important that you strengthen that immunity by getting the vaccine.
- Vaccines are safe and they effectively create an antibody response to improve and strengthen your immune system.
- With natural immunity, there is no way of knowing how strong the reaction of your antibodies will be if you catch the disease again.
- Getting the coronavirus vaccine will always be safer for you and your loved ones, it is about protecting yourself and everybody around you, trusting natural immunity means taking an unnecessary risk.
- Finally, because getting vaccinated is the most responsible choice. We have been fighting the pandemic for over a year, now let us be part of the solution in any way we can.
In conclusion, as long as you have already fully recovered from all COVID-19 symptoms, the best option for most of us is to get the coronavirus vaccine. It is the safest choice for us and the rest of the world.
In case you are getting one of the vaccinations that requires two doses, listen to your doctor’s recommendations as for when to have both of those doses.
Keep in mind that in FORMÉ Medical Center, we have the best team available for you. We have doctors that can explain everything about the vaccine and advise on when to get it. We are constantly having vaccination campaigns. To learn more about our COVID-19 services or to get information regarding our immunization campaigns, give us a call at 914 723 4900.