Neurology is the field of medicine specialized in the study, prevention and treatment of diseases of the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system (nerves and muscles).
The human body is controlled by brain impulses, the spinal cord and the nerves which is why when one of these does not work properly, difficulties can appear to carry out daily activities such as moving, breathing and speaking among many others.
In the case of suffering from headaches, migraines, neuropathic pain, neuralgia, paresthesia, dizziness, vertigo, instability, transient alterations in consciousness, memory deficit or other functions such as language, attention-concentration and spatio-temporal orientation, loss of balance , tremors, loss of strength, double vision, loss of sight or sleep disturbances, it is necessary to consult a neurologist.
The extent of diseases that can be derived from a neurological disorder is directly related to the magnitude of functions that the nervous systems encompass. Therefore, prevention is the best tool to treat these diseases.
Many patients consult with this specialist referred by their family doctor. However, if you consider it necessary, you can request an appointment directly with the specialist at least once a year. There, the neurologist will take a medical history that allows him to identify the risk level of neurological disorder, based on hereditary burden, lifestyle, and early symptoms.
While at Formé, we have a specialist in neurology that is available to the entire community, we want to share some tips on how to maintain a healthy brain.
- Do activities that stimulate brain activity and keep you mentally active such as reading, writing, memorizing phone numbers, playing board games, doing manual activities and learning a new language, among others.
- Get regular physical activities for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Enhance social relationships and avoid spending long periods of time in isolation.
- Maintain a balanced diet, avoid excess animal fats and prefer the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Live a healthy life, do not use alcohol and tobacco in excess, avoid drugs and sleep at least 8 hours a day.
The brain is one of the most important organs of our body and for its correct functioning, it is necessary to take care of it continuously. If you have any questions, please call us at 914-723-4900 and receive more information about our services.
At Formé, we support the Latino community which is why you can find different medical specialties and health plans designed especially for you.
At Formé, our mission is your health!